Among the tasks assigned to the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, under the provisions of the Communications Regulatory Act, is the project organization and the allocation and management of domain names for addressing access to global information network (The Internet).
In this context, the Authority seeks to implement the tasks assigned to it. For this reason it created the Management of Domain Names as a regulatory body which will be responsible for registering the two upper domain names, .om and عمان.
The Authority in managing the domain names shall:
- Setting the rules, instructions and guidelines related to the management of the domain names mentioned above.
- Adoption of the registrants and publish a list of their names on the Authority web site or by any other means.
- Monitoring the registrants and the registrars to make sure they follow the rules, instructions and guidelines related to the domains mentioned.
- Publishing decisions regarding the accredited registrars on the Authority web site or by any other means.
- Making decisions on grievances and complains by accredited registrants and registrars or people of concern in all what’s related to implementing the provisions of rules of the regulations without prejudice to the provisions of the Industrial Property Act and its implementing regulations